So many threads about solving this and that in ULOP, caused by viruses and malwares, some people think operating a lanshop means you are normally going to have to contend with these problems daily.
here are a few simple steps to be "almost" problem free:
Before doing anything, unplug your LAN cable!!!
1. Install Windows, setting up your 2nd partition larger than the Priimary. (most of your programs will be installed on the 2nd).I seldom have a need to allot more than 15gig for my drive C.
2. After setting up Windows, make sure all shared folders are disabled or read only.
3. Disable Autoplay. How to do this...
4. Right click Start, select Properties, select CLassic Menu, Apply
5. On the taskbar tab, uncheck "Group similay icons", check "show quicklaunch"
6. Open My Computer, click Tools, click View tab, check show hidden files and uncheck the two hide options below it. Apply.
7. Right click My Computer, select Properties. Click the Advanced tab. under the Performance section, click Settings. In the Visual effects tab, check Adjust for Best Performance. Leave a check on "Use drop shadows..." (in case you want to use wall papers, and you don't want to have a nasty blue backgound for your icon labels). Apply
8. On the same page, change your virtual memory to a definite value (depending on physical memory and hdd free space, i personally set mine either to 1000 or 2000mb)
9. Install motherboard drivers
10. Install your applications that's constantly needing patches like games, antivirus (disable autoscan schedules), even your timer on the 2nd partition. Office apps may be installed on the C drive.
11. Update all applications and games
12. Now you can disable Windows autoupdate, and all notifications. disable firewall too for trouble free gaming. (all in the the control panel security)
13. Create a My Documents folder in the 2nd partition. change the path of your My Document folder on the desktop to this folder.
14. Change the autosave features paths of your office apps to the D:/My Documents folder.
15. Plug in your LAN cable. Setup your network, test it. Activate Windows (don't bother registering again).
16. Disable java updates through msconfig startup. it can be irritating. update only when truly necessary. (anyone knows how to install this on D drive?)
17. Lock your system files by using Steadystate, Deepfreeze, Returnil, or other softwares.
Now that your Windows is safe from any changes, when infected, a simple restart will get rid of any running virus in your system. any virus residing in your unprotected partition can easily be deleted manually, or be scanned by your antivirus after rebooting.
**** documents may be retrieved even during power interruptions since they are in the 2nd partition.
**** practice viewing flash drives by right clicking Start, then select Explore. double clicking a folder will activate any autorun virus (even with autoplay disabled). Make it your shop's policy to have your customers surrender all flash drives for virus checking. With practice, it will only take you a few seconds.
Note: will edit this post later if i left anything out. suggestions are welcome.^^